The trim industry uses terms that can be confusing to the average user.  Hopefully, this will help clear up confusion.

Base Shoes – Primarily used to trim flooring materials and are used often in combination with a traditional baseboard to conceal variations between the flooring and base.

Battens – A narrow strip of wood used to cover joints or as a decorative vertical member over plywood or wide boards.

Beaded Ceiling – A popula profile used often as wainscot paneling.  Combined with a chair rail or cap mould and a baseboard, beaded ceiling makes a distinctive wainscot package.

Brickmoulds – Mainly used as an exterior casing around doors.  Two inch brickmoulds are most common, however, 1.5 and 1.25 inch sizes are available.  Brickmoulds can also be used in place of a crown and as a transition under window sills.

Bullnose – A term used to describe the eased edges of trip and stops.  A single bullnose stop would have one eased edge and a square edge back.  A double bullnose stop would have two eased edges.

Chair Rails – Applied to a wall, from 24 to 46 inches up from the floor, they protect the wall from scuffs and dents from the backs of chairs.

Corners – Used to protect the outside edges of a wall from damage and scuffing.  They come in a wide variety of sizes and designs.

Coves – Commonly used to soften the transition on iside corners but may be used for a wide range of applications.

Dentil – A moulding pattern with a series of closely spaced rectangular blocks and spaces.  Used especially in classic architecture.

Door Stops – A moulding that attach to the door jamb on both sides and at the top.  It is where the door comes to a rest when it is closed, stopping the door from moving any further, and coverin the gap that would otherwise appear between the door and jambs.

Full Rounds – Used for many things including closet poles, curtain rods, and towel rods.

Half Rounds – Looks like a half circle and is used primarily as decorative trim.  Can be used to put a rounded edge on shelving, a trim piece for wall paper, or to add a decorative pattern to a flat panel.

Quarter Rounds – Most often used with baseboards, is half of a half-round and a quarter of a full round.

Return – The term used to indicate the method of carrying detail from the front of the moulding back to the wall.  Generally a 45 degree cut is made to the front of the long moulding and an opposite 45 is cut on a small piece to carry the detail to the wall.

Screen Mould – Traditionally used to hold mesh screening into wood screens, it works as an edge trim on shelving or wood trim for wall paper.

Squares and Parting Peads – Helps to fill gaps and transition between different heights.

Leave a Comment